Myths from the ancient Libyans, Greeks, and Romans give variations of Medusa’s story, each with a common thread: though mortal, her power was so great that she was targeted, punished, and eventually hunted by the gods themselves. As a testament to her potency, her likeness has been used to adorn the temples and even armor of the gods.
Although portrayals of Medusa as a victorious figure throughout her mythical legacy are rare, her likeness and archetype have far outlasted those of the gods who feared her, and she is instantly recognizable in today’s popular culture.
The Kiss (Der Kuss) Peter Behrens, 1898. Collection: Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Much like the sanctuaries built to house the likenesses of ancient Greek gods and goddesses, Temple of Medusa aims to create a similar shrine honoring this icon of world history. In contrast to the many renderings of Medusa’s defeat that have been created throughout art history, what would a visual testament to Medusa’s victory look like? If Medusa’s temple were built today, what works of art would adorn it?
Century Guild is accepting applications for the opportunity to be selected as one of thirty artists to have their work published in a hardcover fine-art volume titled Temple of Medusa and correlating group exhibitions.
How to apply
Please send the following in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org by or before the extended deadline date of 11:59 pm Pacific Time on April 10, 2021:
- 3-5 examples from your existing body of work
- Tell us about the work you plan to create- What would Medusa look like if she were celebrated rather than feared?
- International artists are encouraged to participate!
Participation terms and criteria
By submitting your application, you agree to the following:
- Artwork examples included in your application for consideration must be stylistically representative of the work you would create if selected to participate in the exhibition. Please include their sizes and media used to create these artworks.
- All forms of artistic creations will be considered as long as they can be reproduced in a physical medium.
- All art must be your own original concept and creation and not in violation of any third-party rights.
- Applications will be closed at 11:59 pm Pacific Time on the extended deadline date of April 10, 2021. Artists selected to participate will be notified by April 12, 2021.
- Artists selected to participate must deliver a well-shot, print-ready file of their photographed art accompanied by descriptive text to email@example.com by or before 11:59 pm Pacific Time on September 1, 2021. (We strongly advise artists to deliver print-ready files and accompanying descriptive text in advance of this cutoff date.)
- By submitting your print-ready file of your finished artwork and the accompanying descriptive text, you authorize Century Guild the right to publish these materials in the Temple of Medusa book and authorize use of this image on marketing and merchandising materials strictly in conjunction with the Temple of Medusa release.
- Artists who are selected to participate will receive ten copies of the Temple of Medusa book following campaign fulfillment.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to include in my application?
An application must contain the following:
(1) 3-5 examples from your existing body of work
(2) A description of the work you plan to create: What would Medusa look like if she were celebrated and honored rather than simply feared?
Applications must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by or before 11:59 pm Pacific Time on the extended deadline date of April 10, 2021.
Do I need to create a Medusa-related artwork for my application?
No. Your application only needs a description of what message or concept you envision, with 3-5 examples of your previously existing artworks.
Does submitting an application mean I will be selected to create an artwork for the Temple of Medusa book?
Your application is solely for consideration and does not ensure inclusion. Thirty artists will be selected from the pool of applicants and notified in April.
How are applicants selected to participate in Temple of Medusa?
Artists will be selected to participate by the staff of Century Guild, with the criteria being (1) artistic skill and (2) originality of concept.
If I am in the Temple of Medusa book, am I giving you the rights to my artwork?
You are only giving us permission to publish your artwork in this specific book and in surrounding materials to support its release. Following this, we have no rights to your artwork, and at no time are you prevented from utilizing your artwork in any other manner or medium.
Do participating artists have the right to reproduce and sell their artwork for Temple of Medusa as prints or other merchandise?
Is there any financial compensation if I am selected to participate in Temple of Medusa?
There is no financial consideration for being included in the book or any of its surrounding exhibitions. Each artist selected to participate will receive ten copies of the Temple of Medusa book following the fulfillment of the Kickstarter campaign.
If I am selected as a participant, will Century Guild offer my original artwork for sale?
If you would like for your artwork to be offered to our clientele, this will be discussed on a case-by-case basis. The work that you create for Temple of Medusa does not need to be available for sale through Century Guild.
What happens if I’m selected to participate in Temple of Medusa and can’t make the September 1 deadline? Will you accept my materials after the due date?
While most art exhibitions are by their nature temporary, our mission is to create permanent and tactile exhibitions in the print medium. In order to do this effectively, we need to treat deadlines as though it were a physical exhibition. Please plan in advance to submit your print-ready file of your photographed art accompanied by descriptive text to email@example.com as early as possible. Please allow extra time for imaging in case it is necessary.
I haven’t prepared images for print before, can you help me with this?
Absolutely! We want to make sure that the book looks spectacular. We can walk you through how to photograph and deliver appropriate files.